nRoute project templates

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Do you plan to make a project and item template for nRoute?

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Well, I just created some over the weekend. Below is a screenshot of how the like templates look out-of-the box for SL4, WPF4 and WP7.

We've got six project templates, three for nRoute.Framework and three for nRoute.Toolkit. The nRoute.Framework ones are the navigation ones, whereas the non-navigation ones are for nRoute.Toolkit. The navigation templates (show above) use the same control layout used in Silverlight's own Navigation Framework - which means with a little tweaking you can drop styling resources from other Silverlight Navigation themes. In fact, the above is just an edited version of the Cosmopolitan theme, which is hooked up to nRoute specific controls. Secondly, the templates for the toolkit version are essentially plain projects just with nRoute initialized and one ViewModel paired to the main window/page.

We have the following item templates; note for WP7 we have specific versions of NavigationViews and ViewModelViews as SL3 in WP7 doesn't allow custom xml namespaces used in SL4 and WPF.

Both the project and item templates are packed using VS2010's new vsix packaging - which makes it both easy to install and uninstall. And later, I intent to put these templates on VS Gallery so updates can automatically be pushed down, for now download from http://cid-587cbdf035b4a11d.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/nRoute.VSIXTemplates.vsix

Lastly, would appreciate everyone's feedback as to if the templates are an adequate starting point and are properly designed for day-to-day use?
Cheers,

Rishi

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Thank you. Just downloaded them. I can't wait to get started on this.
Developer
Jul 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM

One idea (don't know how popular this is with others) is to have the project templates create a by-feature project structure, instead of a by-type project structure.

That is, instead of

Views
  (a bunch of views)
ViewModels
  (a bunch of view models)

...to have...

Features
   Customers
        CustomersView
        CustomersViewModel
   Accounts
        AccountsView
        AccountsViewModel

...so that the views/view-models are grouped by functionality. I guess a new item template "Feature (View+ViewModel)" might work?...

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Hi everyone, I've just update the templates, in particular I redid all the WP7 templates using the new beta release of WP7 tools. Also the templates VSIX package is now on Visual Studio Gallery so you either get them by searching within VS2010 or download them from http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/158cd801-73a1-4ef5-aa80-bdec6b4df503. Future, updates will also come through Visual Studio directly.

Any suggestions or feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
Rishi 

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2010 at 11:53 PM

@dotnetrodent, good idea but I would be hard pressed to included your suggestion in the main templates package - for one thing it is already too packed. However, I'm open to creating another installable package that can cater to more advanced or customized needs. Think of it as an extended package, and I'd personally like to include class-library type projects as I often use them with SiteAreas. Would that work for you?

Rishi

Developer
Jul 20, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Sure, sounds good!

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Hi Rishi,

do you plan VB templates too, or is there some way to port C# templates to VB? Maybe I can do that?

With best regards

Gerhard

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Gerhard given my time limitation and vb amnesia, I'd appreciate if you could do it - I can share with you the C# solution for creating the templates. You can mail me at rishi - at - orktane.com and I'll mail you the source.

Cheers,
Rishi