DataGrid TemplatedColumn with button doesn't pass a DependencyParameter

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Hi,

I have a standard data grid form the SL Toolkit. It has two columns and one is templated. The template looks like this:

<sdk:DataGridTemplateColumn>
<sdk:DataGridTemplateColumn.CellTemplate>
<DataTemplate>
<StackPanel
Orientation="Horizontal"
HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"
Margin="4">
<Button
Content="Test">
<i:Interaction.Triggers>
<i:EventTrigger EventName="Click">
<n:ExecuteCommandAction Command="{Binding EdycjaWarunku,
Source={StaticResource ViewModel}}">
<n:DependencyParameter
Value="{Binding ElementName=warunkiPromocjiGrid, Path=SelectedItem}"/>
</n:ExecuteCommandAction>
</i:EventTrigger>
</i:Interaction.Triggers>
</Button>
</StackPanel>
</DataTemplate>
</sdk:DataGridTemplateColumn.CellTemplate>
</sdk:DataGridTemplateColumn>

The method in my ViewModel executes fine but no Dependency Parameter is passed. When I take the Button code and place it outside the grid column it works fine. Any suggestions on that?

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM

The problem is same is I mentioned earlier, you can't access an instantiated member (in the Visual-Tree) from the DataTemplate directly - think of a DataTemplate as being a type definition (ie. var _x = typeof(Foo)), and a type definition cannot access an instantiated instance (i.e. var _y = new Foo()) directly. This is the reason we have value relays - they act like static members  (e.g. var _z = Foo.Message), which you can access without instantiating an instance using StaticResource binding.

Also FYI, in most cases you can bind directly to the CommandParameter without having to use a DependencyParameter, eg:

<i:EventTrigger EventName="Click">
<
n:ExecuteCommandAction Command="{Binding EdycjaWarunku, Source={StaticResource ViewModel}}" Parameter="{Binding Value}" />
</i:EventTrigger>

Hope this helps,
Rishi 

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Ok, so what would you suggest to do? Becuase I can't find any example with value relay for nRoute.

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Value Relay Info: http://www.orktane.com/Blog/post/2009/10/10/Introducing-nRouteToolkit-for-Silverlight-(Part-II).aspx

Value Relay Sample: http://www.orktane.com/Blog/post/2010/07/12/Creating-a-Netflix-App-using-nRoute-again-Now-in-WPF.aspx (more in repository)

Cheers,
Rishi

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Hmm... I've declared the ValueRelay:

<n:ValueRelay x:Key="WarunekPromocjiValueRelay"/>

Also the ExecuteCommand:

<n:ExecuteCommandAction Command="{Binding EdycjaWarunku, Source={StaticResource ViewModel}}" Parameter="{Binding Value, Source={StaticResource WarunekPromocjiValueRelay}, Mode=TwoWay}"/>

But I don't get the code behind part of it. To what should I hook up? The the buttons load event and there set the value for the parameter?

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I did something like this:

private void Button_Loaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
{
this.SetRelayValue<WebApplication2.WarunkiPromocji>("WarunekPromocjiValueRelay",
(sender as Button).DataContext as WebApplication2.WarunkiPromocji);
}

But the problem is that all the buttons have the same datacontext. Every button should have the context of the it's placed in. Any suggestions?

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Here, I've created a small sample showing how to use a command from a cell-template:

http://cid-587cbdf035b4a11d.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DataTemplateCommandsSample.zip

Hope this helps,
Rishi