WPF Tiny sample possiblity?

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Hey man I love what you seem to have done here, and I want to explore this to use with my own MVVM framework called Cinch. Which I am most pleased with, apart from navigation.

Cinch is located at http://cinch.codeplex.com/ , and I have been doing stuff with WPF for a while now. And it has gone down very well within the community, I only just started hosting it at codeplex and before that it was at codeproject where it had like 23,000 viewings. I write a lot of articles, so I can assure you I am no freeloader.

But, I do need to ask you, would it be possible for you to post a really simple WPF demo, as I can not get any of the Silverlight bits to build as I don't do too much with SL (sorry WPFs my baby). NRoute works with pure WPF right. I am not a lzay bugger or a muppet, and I would really like to use it, its just I cant get any bits to work, I must admit I do not have any SL bits installed. Is this absolutely required, or can the NRoute dll be used with WPF.

Actually thinking about this again, what I could propose is that if you would be willing to fields some questions I would write a top notch article on using N-Route using WPF which would get a lot of exposure for N-Route. I would do this as a codeproject article. I can garuentee that there will be a lot of people interested.

If this idea floats your boat, you can get back to me through my blog which is at http://sachabarber.net or leave a message on any of my articles over at codeproject, http://www.codeproject.com/script/Articles/MemberArticles.aspx?amid=569009 and just leave a bit of text saying NRoute developer and I will know its you.

I think it could work for both of us. What do you think?

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Hi Sacha, firstly I know you are not lazy bugger :)  I’ve been reading your stuff on codeproject for ages, and in fact I had earlier read couple of your articles on cinch. I like what your done, except perhaps I am not sure about the validation and data wrapper stuff – I tend be wary about messing with the model.

Anyway, as for nRoute for WPF – I started developing for both SL and WPF side-by-side, but gave up on WPF mid-way owing to time constrains and since I only really needed the SL version. Though still, I want to have a WPF version when the API matures a bit. And ya for the SL bits to compile you need the SL tools installed, which is why it wouldn’t compile.

Now, as for a WPF demo can I suggest you wait for nRoute’s next drop to be out, as it brings a lot of fixes and some new ideas. Just, next week I am putting out partial bits for the new release and it brings in a lot of new stuff (kinda like what you  already have in cinch) – so if you can hold on, you can align with the latest API? But if you are in a hurry, I can guide you which parts of the code need to be tweaked for WPF – I’d love to help more, but I am a bit time-constrained and also my main dev machine’s video card gave up (for the second time) so I am bit short-handed right now.

Hope this helps. Cheers.  

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Oktane

Thanks for coming back to me on this so quickly. I am in no hurry actually, so that suits me fine. Could I maybe just ask when the WPF drop is ready you reply to this post, so I can pick it up again. I am glad you realised I am not a lazy bugger and freeloader. Thats important to me.

As far as your comments on Cinch, re: Validation / DataWrappers. I like the datawrappers but see your point. As for validation it is the recommended way, what can I say. I did toy with attribute based validation actually, but opted for the IDataErrorInfo as it would be more familiar I felt for people.

As for messing with the Model, I have changed that now, and opted for doing all this in the ViewModel instead as several people wanted it. I guess I have always been in control of my models, so have had the luxury of doing what I liked. But most people do wrap the Model in VM, so I have provided that now too, and in fact a new Cinch code generator will not use the Model at all and will generate VMs as is more normal I guess.

Once again excellent stuff, and if you would not mind letting me know when NRoute reaches WPF land that would be ace. Until then best of luck with it all.

Sacha

Coordinator
Jul 20, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Hi Sacha, I know this is months after the fact - but hey, we now have a WPF version of nRoute and a sample to boot! You can read more about the WPF sample from http://www.orktane.com/Blog/post/2010/07/12/Creating-a-Netflix-App-using-nRoute-again-Now-in-WPF.aspx

I'd love to see what you can do with nRoute, and yes I know you have a very capable framework in Cinch. I'm just catching up on Cinch v2, n' it looks like a worthy adversary ;)
Anyway, just though I let you know.

Cheers,
Rishi 

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Hey Rishi, I have seen that you have WPF and WP7 now, thats great news. In Cinch V2 I have SL too now. I do not care too much about WP7 support. I have been watching nRoute carefully do not worry. I think I have improved Cinch a lot in V2, but nRoute still has upper hand in navigation.

I love nRoute and I think had I not written my own framework, this would be the one I would use. Excellent work my man.

One more question do you do all the design work yourself? You are very capable in that area it would seem. Again great stuff.

Do read the new Cinch V2 articles if you find time, I would love to know what you think. I am using MEF all the way these days, and loving it.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Hi Sacha, good to hear from you and equally good to know you are keeping up with nRoute. I've been following both your Baboon Framework and Cinch, must say Baboon a bit more than Cinch lately. But I'll read up on Cinch 2 and share my notes with you - though I was a bit surprised you picked up MEF, as I recall you weren't much into attribute driven approaches. All the same, I wanna have a good look at how you did MEF integration, I considered using MEF but wasn't too happy about it, so I'm curious how you approached it.

And thanks, ya I do all the designing myself, strong believer in Style+Substance. 

Have a good one,
Rishi 

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Yeah MEF got the better of me, I turned out to like it in the end, though with a little help from Marlon Grech (my mate). NRoute absolutely rocks, and when people want something SL3/WP7 I ALWAYS send them here. Super job man.

Love your design work too, is shows you care I like that, I like nice UIs too.