Is the source code available?

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM

nRoute looks amazing. I was about to embark on something similar (including using the MVC routing instead of the SL Navigation Framework) and thought I would look around first before starting from nothing. I think I need not bother now. :) However, I noticed the the Source Code tab has a last entry from April. Is the code open sourced, and if so, is it available anywhere?

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Hi Riles01, thanks and yes the source is open sourced but unfortunately it is not updated at Codeplex. I'll be soon releasing an updated release of nRoute that will include both the complete source code and unit tests. Currently, I'm just testing out a private build and once I am happy with it and the feature-mix I'll definitely get it all out. 

Hope this helps.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I agree nRoute beats anything else I have come across for command implementations in Silverlight but can't use it at the moment because the released download is not signed and we have to have all of our components signed.  Any update on the source code or a signed version please?

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Hi Mike, so a signed copy of the toolkit will help you? I think I can provide that, but in future I'll ensure the source-code is kept upto date here. Also I saw, you have a navigation framework for Silverlight, I'll love to hear your take on nRoute's navigation feature. Infact, before I made nRout, I had made something very similar to yours but for WPF, however I wanted to go full-on so I went for ASP.NET's routing engine in Silverlight.

Give a day or two, and I'll have the signed assembly up.

Cheers, Rishi 

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM
Edited Nov 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Hi Rishi

I have temporarily undone the signing on the projects that will use nRoute, and will no doubt get my hand smacked if anyone audits it but it got us up and working and am really pleased with Action based stuff, so if you are close to uploading the code we can get by until then.

To be honest I haven't look hard at the nRoute navigation features.  I came across nRoute when I was looking for an alternative to another Command framework that appeared to support multiple commands on an element for different events but I couldn't get working.  Now that we have nRoute I will look into the other features and give you some feedback.

Originally NavFx started out as a project to help optimise large applications by keeping the shell small and dynamically downloading pages/controls but as I built it I found myself repeating navigation tasks so started building them into the project.  Not sure if people are still using it now that Silverlight has it's own navigation features, but it seemed quite popular for a while.  I keep trying to go back to and improve it but struggling to find the time at the moment.

Mike